Saturday, January 29, 2011

The forest floor

The forest floor is damp and fertile. It is a compost bin for fallen leaves, dead wood, animal droppings and insects. In the summer time I love the smell of it because the sun's heat brings out the aroma of pine needles and berries. I could eat it!  The winter ground is a different story, however. It smells of wet dirt, mushrooms, and decaying leaves. I breathe it in deeply when I walk because, although it sounds awful, I find it nourishing.

Above is a picture of mushrooms, (or fungus) growing on a dead tree. I think they are lovely. They undulate with a rhythm that reminds me of waves on the sea. The colors are subtle. I imagine all sorts of tiny folk living among the mushrooms and I paint them often. Here is one of my characters.

This is the elf, Mushinka.  He walks through the forest gathering mushrooms and as he does he also collects seeds and spores. Those fall from his hat and apron pockets as he moves along.
The decaying mulch becomes a a nursery for young plants and
new growth springs out of old.

No comments:

Post a Comment