Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Winter Fairy

In late summer the squirrels strip the fir trees of pine cones. They throw them onto the soft earth with a repetitive thump.........thump.......thump.......They then start collecting them, taking the pine cones back to their nests to store for winter.  They must be very tasty as my dogs seem to enjoy them, too.  The result is, that there are hundreds of pine cones left on the ground.
Dried pine cones can be used for many things.  You can put cinnamon oil on them and scatter them in your home as scented air fresheners. You can paint them silver or gold and display them as Christmas decorations.  You can use them as fire starters.  I don't do any of those things, but I do like to do paintings of them. I like to get lost in the depths of the spikes. I love the subtly of the colors. I enjoy how the light plays softly around the edges.

I like to imagine a world filled with fairies who wear the accouterments of nature. I see them dressed not only in flower petals, but moss and berries and, well, pine cones.  This little lady I call the Winter Fairy.  All the flowers are gone so she dresses in winter's garb.  I like her wild red hair with fir branches poking out, and I like her little shoes. I think she's really quite fashionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment