Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mistakes

Mushrooms appear readily in the damp grasses in my yard. I have friends who know all of the varieties of mushrooms that grow in this region. They forage for them and cook with them.  I don't do that as I am always certain I would guess wrong and eat one that makes me too small or too large (think Alice in Wonderland). Or that it would be poisonous and I would just die.  Either option doesn't sound fun, so I paint little people dressed in them.
If I were going to costume a mushroom fairy she might look like this.  I love her lichen hat and sleeves and the dead leaf that is her bodice I think is cute.  Her wings look like moth wings.  All in all however, her skirt looks cumbersome and would thunk when she walks. Poor little thing! How can you be graceful and quiet when you "thunk"?
If everything you created as an artist or artisan turned out perfect, you would be lucky indeed!  Art is about experimentation and taking chances. I often fall on my face.  I learn from my mistakes and try again.  This young fairy has sat in the back of my closet for a very long time.  She's not my favorite but I do wonder what she is thinking about.  She seems awfully pensive.  I hope she's not worried because she's been in the closet for so long.  Maybe I'll hang her up and let her have a look around.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! She is so cute, fashionable, and pensive. I hope you do put her out for a while. ;-)

    ReplyDelete