Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Moss Jacket

In the parts of the forest that are dark and damp, moss grows on the tree limbs and drapes like laundry hanging from a line.  In the Olympic National Forest crews of people collect the moss and sell it to nurserys and flower shops.  It is wonderful to add to baskets and flower arrangements. When it's dried, the moss is light and colorful and holds water well.
As I walk through the woods, however, I find the look of it very spooky.  It seems enchanted and somewhat foreboding.  I can understand why the "Twilight" series takes place near this area. Perhaps vampires lurk nearby?
When my daughters were involved in ballet and because I know how to sew, my services as a seamstress were required.  I first started just sewing costumes, then began designing them, then became the head of the costume department for our local ballet company.  It is a great passion of mine to design and construct costumes.  I love the feel and texture of beautiful fabrics and I like to make the costume become part of the dance. Silk flows so beautifully and moves with the dancer. It is such a joy to watch.
My love of costume design inspired me to create my flower fairies. This one I call "The Moss Jacket."  She is wearing a skirt made of tulip petals.  Her jacket is the moss that hangs from the trees in the forest. It is light and airy.  She just blew a kiss to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment