Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Resting Place

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, and other times you can't see the trees for the forest.  It all depends I suppose on how much is going on in your life.  Today I feel overwhelmed and the forest looms large in front of me. I can't see the details, just this huge expanse of green. I'm not sure I will be able to pick my way through it.

There is a glade I want to find, however, so I have to concentrate and lead the way.  Once large trees grew there but they came to full maturity and a storm eventually took them down.  Now the glade has filtered sunlight and the fallen heroes laying on the ground are fertile beds for young ferns. It's very quiet there, and when I come up on it I always stop and listen. I watch for deer and owls and squirrels. I walk gingerly among the old and new growth and observe how the young trees are making their way to sunlight. I love this glade and I used to come here with my husband. It is and will always be a very special and resting place.


No comments:

Post a Comment