Sunday, February 13, 2011

A cord of wood

The wind storm came and went.  It rained so hard at times I could barely see to drive and the roads were covered with so much wind debris that it was quite dangerous.  The power stayed on and I have woken to a beautiful clear skied morning.  The sunrise will be (in a very literal sense) awesome!
While I was out collecting wood for my stove, I came across this little man.  His name is Oakly.  He lives in my wood pile. 
To those who don't know, a cord of wood is measured 4 feet by 4 feet by 8 feet, and according to the Germans, it should be stacked loose enough for a mouse to enter but tight enough to stop a cat from following.
Oakly's packpack is empty. I wonder what he carries in it?  I keep looking into the crevises between the logs to spy that mouse. I'll bet they are friends. Maybe Oakly collects seeds and nuts to feed the mouse.  He looks kind.

1 comment: