Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fishing boats

I drive a school bus for the Bainbridge Island school district.  It's a really great job and pretty easy until the kids get on board.  At least that's the joke at the bus barn!  I like the children I carry.  They come aboard with all sorts of baggage:  backpacks, musical instruments, baseball cleats and bats, lacrosse sticks, basketballs, science experiments, and my favorites, plants they grew in class to take home to mom.  They also come aboard with other baggage:  pets that died, parents who travel, divorce.  One little girl told me that she recoginized me and "didn't I used to be married to her dad?"  I've done this for so long now, that I have seen my kindergarteners graduate from high school. Kids come back and say, "didn't you used to be my bus driver?"  I think that's good, at least they still remember me.  I have great stories, but I'm sort of like a priest and can't tell any of them because of confidentaility.  (I'm not certain that's true, but I like the sound of it.)
One of the perks of my job is the scenery.  This picture I took with my cell phone this morning. Not to worry, my bus was stopped!  It was at 7:15 and the fishing boats were leaving port on there way to the south sound.  I'm not sure what they were after but some sort of salmon were running.  I love watching the boats racing through the water.  You can sense the comraderie even from a distance.  The skies were gray, the sea was just starting to churn, but there was anticipation in the air.  What a morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment