Sunday, March 6, 2011

Finding your passion

When I was a teenager I was full of angst. Every feeling was magnified, every thought was passionate.  Things either were or they weren't. There was nothing gray, only the bright colors and noise of fireworks in my brain. I would get angry easily and cry often and my mother would ask what was wrong.  "I'm just trying to find myself!" I would shout. Mom would, in great frustration, say "Why are you looking so hard? You're right here!"
These many years later I am still looking.  I think many of us are trying to discover where our passion lies and what we want to do with our lives.  I envy those fortunate few who have found the perfect job, the ones I read about who say, "I can't believe I get paid to do this." I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to be when I grow up.
I've known for many years that my main passion is my family.  They are my center and my heart. The house is quiet now, however, and I am searching for that one thing that will give me wings.  The trouble with creative minds is the turbulence of ideas.  They flood my mind and I bounce from one wonderful idea to the next never landing on any long enough to give it focus.  I get bored easily. I think it's because I am so intelligent......but maybe I'm just not disciplined.
I have decided to make hats and see if I can sell them on Etsy.  This morning I was making flower pins with which to embellish them.  I worked for about 2 hours which was about an hour longer than I was comfortable and then I decided to write this blog. Well, we'll see if this newest idea flies. 








These flower pins are about 3", have sparkling fiber integrated throughout and a crystal center. A feather gives them just a little more pizazz.


The flowers attach to a party hat made of vintage fabrics. The hats are reversible so it's like having two hats in one.
You could also wear the pin on a lapel or put it on a headband, so really it's like 4 things in one!


It's fun to make the flower pins,( for awhile).  I like the finished product.  Anything costumey and glittery makes me happy.  I think we all like to dress up sometime, that's why Halloween is so popular.
More on the hats later, but for now I'm on to something else.  I have to clean up my mess.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is my favorite post so far! I think I really understand what you mean. And I love this idea! I'm going to have to get Baby O to model your sample hats and send you the photos! Love the reversible idea and the idea that the pins can come on and off too. So clever. :-)

    ReplyDelete